Q: How are rates figured?

A: Tax rates, or millage levies, are set by procedures established in the Oklahoma Constitution or voted on directly by the taxpayers. The Assessor’s Office does not set the tax rate. There are over 37 different rates in Comanche County. They vary depending on which school district, city limit and vocational-technical school district the property is located.

Q: How do you figure taxes?

A: The method to figure ad valorem taxes requires 4 steps:

1. You must know the taxable market value of the property.

2. Multiply the taxable market value by the assessment ratio (11.25% for both real and personal property).

3. Exclude any exemption amounts.

4. Multiply by the millage levy of the area you reside in.

Q: My mailing address changed, what should I do?

A: You are required to notify the Assessor’s Office and the Treasurer’s Office.

Assessor’s Office: 580-355-1052
Treasurer’s Office: 580-355-5763

Q: What is a mil?

A: A mill is 1/10 of a cent. For property assessment purposes, it is $1 for every $1,000 valued. The tax rate is the sum of all mills levied. For convenience, Oklahoma expresses the tax rate as dollars per thousand dollars of assessed value. A tax rate of 80 mills, for example, would be 80 tax dollars.

Q: When do I pay taxes?

A: The Treasurer’s Office sends out the tax bill in November. If you do not receive your tax statement by the end of November, contact the Treasurer’s Office at 580-355-5763.

Q: Where do the taxes go?

A: Property Taxes are distributed between local schools, vocational/technical schools, libraries, and city and county government. Generally, local schools receive the largest share of the property tax, followed by city bond issues, county government, vocational/technical schools, libraries, and city/county health departments.