Nixle is an emergency notification system created to provide secure and reliable communications. It is the first authenticated and secure service which allows government agencies to communicate with citizens in real time, delivering information to geographically targeted citizens over their cell phones via text messages, through e-mails and via Web access. Nixle has secured a partnership with NLETS (the International Justice and Public Safety Network), allowing local agencies nationwide to send immediate alerts and advisories.
Messages can be sent to registered citizens within a specific geographical location (¼ mile – 10 mile radius) or to all registered citizens, however ALL weather notifications will be sent to ALL registered citizens due to the fact citizens may be travelling to or from warning area and Nixle may be their only means of notification.
Registered citizens decide from which local agencies they want to receive information, the types of notifications they want to receive and the way in which those notifications are received, whether it is by email, text message or over the web.
Nixle also builds on the foundations of other public-to-public communication services, such as Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace, but adds a key component: security. When citizens receive information from our agency via Nixle, they know it can be trusted.
The types of emergencies and notifications Nixle can be used for include, but are not limited to, the following;* Weather watches, advisories and warnings
- Watches – Citizens will be notified of all weather-related watches
- Advisories – Citizens will be notified of weather advisories when the National Weather Service indicates hail is at least ½ inch (nickel) in diameter or winds are in excess of 45mph
- Warnings – Citizens will be notified of all weather-related warnings
- ALL weather notifications will be sent as an “ALERT” message, unless the notification is for a weather event more than 24 hours in advance
- ALL weather notifications will be sent to ALL registered citizens due to the fact citizens may be travelling to or from warning area and Nixle may be their only means of notification
* Fire in your area that could put you at risk;
* Bomb threats;
* Hostage situations;
* Drinking water contamination or boil water notice;
* Missing persons;
* For any emergency reason deemed necessary by city/county officials.
MESSAGES AND NOTIFICATIONS
When creating Nixle notifications there are two (2) message fields; SMS Message and Email/Web Message.
- The SMS message field contains only 117 characters. Information which is input in the SMS message field will contain only vital information. The message will be scripted in the following format; What, Where, When and How (ex. Severe T-Storm Warning for Comanche Co til 9pm golf ball hail and 65mph winds). The SMS message field will also contain a link at the end of the message, which will take you to the Email/Web message.
- The Email/Web Message field will contain all pertinent information related to the incident. This field will normally contain more extensive information.